Wasting Food Is Just Too Costly!
Everyday we have little bits of this and that left over when we are preparing our meals. We just hate waste so we have a system for saving what might seem like scraps and turning them into valuable ingredients for the next meal. Your freezer is your best friend when it comes to saving money. Not only can you buy in bulk or stock up when your favorite items are on sale, but by creating a small inventory of things that would otherwise be wasted, you can save even more.
- Chicken Backs to use for stock when making soups or stews.
- Jalapeno peppers seeded and ready to add a boost of heat.
- Left over muffins to be torn up in the next Mini Triffle
- Diced onions can be added to anything savory.
- Diced sweet peppers make your next rice Pilaf sing!
- Parmesan Cheese rinds added to Minestrone or your favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- Peas, well what can we say you can do so much with a 1/2 cup of peas.
Not pictured above but equally as good:
- Brown Bananas freeze well till you have enough to make a Banana bread!
- bits of cranberries or nuts can be frozen till you make stuffing or muffins.
- Herbs should be minced and covered with olive oil then frozen in ice-cube trays.
- Bits of grated cheese tossed into one bag will add up to great Mac and Cheese.
- Over-ripe tomatoes are great in your next chilli!
These are just a few ideas that keep food out of the compost bin and on your table where it belongs. We hope you find this helpful in your own kitchen.